Since 2010, we've hosted a range of projects that contribute to our goals of promoting development in and through culture. Most of these have had strong artistic and creative engagement with local communities in Timor-Leste. Find out more on project pages:
Fostering cultural vitality: stimulating creativity
Artists in residence projects
- Lena Caminha, Teatro Timor, Theatre Workshop Series and Performance, August 2018
- Simao Fereira, Painting on Glass Workshop Series and exhibition, April 2018
- Yumi Umiumare, Tearoom project, Lautem Cultural Centre, July 2016
- Creative writing project, Emily Lush, Lospalos, 2015.
- Fashion design workshop led by Dutch fashion design teacher Ineke Siersema, Lautem Cultural Centre, 2014
- Photo-voice project, Marian Reid, Lospalos, 2013
- Community Publishing: First Language First project, with KIds' Own Publishing and Alola Foundation, Dili, Lospalos, and other locations, 2011-2013.
- Our Culture, Many Different Stories theatre project, Catherine Simmonds Asialik residency 2011-2012.
- Community music project, Gillian Howell's Asialink residency, Baucau and Lospalos, 2010-2011.
- Matadalan Ba Malu scholarship awarded to MHI Team Leader, Nelinha Pereira to study English in Melbourne, Australia. This included an internship at Box Hill Community Arts Centre.
- Field trip and exhibition: youth art exhibition in Dili, Timor-Leste where 6 students from the Vida Arte Galeria represented their peers in installing and launching the groups exhibition 'My Family, My Culture' at the Xanana Reading Room, Dili.
- Field trip: 10 students sponsored and supervised by Many Hands International and the Mornington Penisula Friendship Group to attend Timor Leste's first ever national public arts festival, Arte Publiku, Dili, August 2014
- MHI supports local dance teacher to participate in the 'Women’s Empowerment and Combating Gender Violence through Culture and Media Project' that is part of the Conflict Resolution Through the Arts" program, Brisbane, Australia, July 2016
- MHI sponsors local dance teacher to undertake training in Zumba fitness dancing in partnership with Zumba Dili, Indonesia, 2014
- Many Hands International hosted visiting study tour group from the Student Conservators for Timor Leste (SCTL); a newly formed graduate organisation at Melbourne University, led by Prof. Robyn Sloggett, Lautem Cultural Centre, July 2014
- Young dancers' visit, 2013
- Youth to Youth cultural exchange, 2013
Fostering cultural vitality: strengthening connection to cultural heritage
- Connecting ancient rock art and contemporary cultural practices, Tutuala sub-district, 2014
- Sustainable Cultural Tourism: Rock Art in the Lautem District, 2014.
- Lautem Cultural Festival, Lospalos, 2013
Stimulating economic development
Improving social cohesion: Health and wellbeing promotion projects
- Creative arts therapy for health and wellbeing
- Supporting the Timor-Leste Association for the Profession of Psychology
- Arts and Disability Project, Sarah Daley's project, Baucau, 2010-2011.
Can't find what you're looking for? Try viewing the site map.